Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Unravelling the Moore Family

My story of the Moore family begins way back in Wexford Ireland.

The Hon. George Ogle was married to Elizabeth Moore. This couple had no children of their own, so when Elizabeth's sister Mary Anne married her cousin John Moore, they named their first born son after George Ogle.

George Ogle Moore was born in 1770 and died in 1847. George represented the city of Dublin Ireland in parliament from 1826 to 1831. He married Elizabeth Armstrong in 1800.

One of their sons John, came to Australia in 1852 on board "The Rattler". They came as unassisted immigrants and even had two or three servants with them on their journey. John's family consisted of: John jnr, Arthur, Charles, Lorenzo, Ogle James, Elizabeth, Louisa and George.

On arrival in Australia, John snr's occupation was listed as 'Squatter' on the Tallarook run in Victoria. It's not known where he went from here, but he and some of his family lived for many years at Alexandra Street, East St. Kilda, Melbourne. John died on 30th January 1885 .

Ogle James Moore married Isobel Clara Webb in Albury NSW in 1866. He was born in Dublin Ireland in 1837 and died at Glen Innes NSW in 1898.

Their children were: Richard Ogle Moore, John Ogle Moore, Marguerita Scott Moore, Linda Constance Moore , Elizabeth Gertrude Isabel Moore,Thomas Mitchell Moore and Ogle James Moore.

Richard Ogle Moore married Charlotte Evelyn Robinson in 14th June 1899.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic we are up and running. I love your Ogle Moore story. Stay posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some yet unexplained reason We have Lorenzo Moore's Dictonary inscribed
    "L Moore 1839"
    and
    "Lorenzo Moore
    Lieutenant 5th Regiment
    Madras Light Cavalry"
    in the Fly Sheet
    however I cannot crack the link between my Moore Tree and George Ogle Moore and Elizabeth Armstrong which I feel there should be. Legend has it that our Moores lived around Bath but my ancestor Rev Timothy Moore does not show up in the 1841 Census I think. He came to Australia in 1849 in the "St George" suffering from TB and with in days of arrival in Balmain Sydney, died and left 3 orphan children ( his wife and 3 children died of cholera at the start of the voyage). 3 Children Timothy Steadman, Thomas and Elizabeth were taken in by Charles Wright Shipping Merchant of Drummoyne House Drummoyne. T.S.Moore is my great grandfather. For some reason he had Lorenzos dictionary in his papers.
    I would like to make the connection. regards david@davidmoore.com.au
    PS Also this is the best Ogle Moore family collection I have found on the web yet congrats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from another Ogle Moore connection. I ahve emailed you some info so lets see if we can connect you into the line. Thanks for making contact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You folks have Ogle in your names in gratitude to George Ogle, see my Misc. Notes below. George (a wealthy orphan himself) had no children and left his substantial estate to George Ogle Moore, his nephew. He had really wanted to marry young George's mother, but she had turned him down. I can send you a scan copy of his portrait as an officer in 1798 (in private hands) if you contact me at ken95atme.com (note at substituted for @) I identified this portrait some years ago in Dublin. While George Ogle is no blood relative he was a close in-law and a major source of family wealth.

    Unfortunately my notes would not go through. Please just contact me directly. Kenneth C. Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for confirmng the information that the name comes from George Ogle. I did not know about his marriage proposal to young Georges mother. I will contact you via email for further information that can be posted.

    ReplyDelete